Monday, August 10, 2015


Getting our Attention with His Word

"As you therefore have received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in Him."
Colossians 2:6

I spent the weekend in Torit and on Sunday morning, I went to our partner church's English service.   The pastor preached on Colossians 2:5-7.  After the service, as I was walking back home I came by a church of a different denomination which holds its Sunday service at the courthouse in town.  There was someone attending the service there whom I wanted to meet in the evening so I decided to step in to see if I could find him and get his attention.  But as soon as I walked in I was noticed by the man speaking up front.  He welcomed me and gave me a chair in the front row next to the pastor, whom I knew well.  So in not wanting to offend anyone, I stayed for the service.  When the pastor came up to preach he read Colossians 2:6-7, the same reading from the other church, and he preached about them.  Both sermons were biblical, well delivered, and pertained to the verses, but they were done in very different styles.  I feel that perhaps it was more than just a coincidence that I heard these two messages. 

So I have been challenged to keep walking in Christ, which requires daily discipline and reliance on Him.  Circumstances do not take away the need for that discipline and neither does going in to full time ministry.  I believe this really is an area that I need to keep growing in.  I thank the Lord for his word and for the ways he speaks to us.

Preparations for the Team

The first couple of months that I spent in Yei village were quite difficult, but it has now gotten much easier as I have been learning what my responsibilities are and what they are not.  I have decided to take weekends with the church in Loryok and the rest of the week in Yei village.  In the village I am able to share Bible stories, visit families, and read the Bible and have a discussion with some of the Laarim students in Kimatong nearby every week.  And I have been encouraged by the interest expressed in a number of Laarim who want to learn more about the word of God. 

It is hard for me to believe that I have lived in Laarim territory for over three years now.  I feel like I am continuing to improve in the language and yet I do not feel comfortable with it.  Last week I had a very difficult time trying to translate from Laarim to English to the group for the preacher in Loryok on Sunday.  I still have far to go in the language.  But I am greatly encouraged by the fact that my first teammate, Andrew is coming to join me this week on either Wednesday or Thursday.  We are experiencing God's answer to our prayers for the last three years.  Andrew comes from the UK and is willing to spend these next two years to minister among the Laarim.  I am very much looking forward to meeting him and working as a team.

Another big event in the village was the opening of the airstrip.  Charlie who is working with AIM, and Clement, a Laarim builder oversaw the work and spent many days clearing and leveling the airstrip.  Soon after it was considered usable, one of AIM's planes landed on it.  The pilots were very impressed with it and quite thrilled that they can now make flights in and out of the area. 

Part of our construction camp setup

Looking southeast from the camp


How you can pray

-Please pray for Andrew and I as we meet and get to know one another and learn to serve together.  The plan is that Andrew will initially be spending most of his time as a learner of the Laarim language and culture before focusing on other activities.  Pray for him in this process.

 -Please continue to lift those up in prayer who are working with the housing setup.  Currently, we have Charlie, Ron, and Clement.  Ron will be leaving for another assignment in two weeks and handing over the responsibilities to Charlie.  Housing setup is both logistically difficult and an emotionally draining job with there being unrealistic expectations from many in the community of what we can provide.

-Angelo, a Laarim believer in Torit, and I are considering getting a team of youth evangelists to come to Loryok and the Boya HIlls area to share the gospel during one of the school holidays.  This could be in a few weeks, or a few months.  Please pray that the Lord would direct us.

-Please continue to pray for the Laarim people.  Pray for open and hungry hearts for the gospel and pray that we would be faithful in proclaiming.


1 comment:

  1. It's always great to hear from you via your blog! I love the story of the two sermons on the exact same passage. Pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete