Tuesday, October 7, 2014

When a Crocodile Gets in the Way


During my first year of living in Loryok, I loved going out to jog in the mornings.  I would get up at six o'clock when there was just enough light to see and go along the road out of town for a few kilometers and then turn around to come back. Those mornings outside of town were quiet and peaceful and I enjoyed watching the sun rise from behind the hills in the east as I ran.  One morning I jogged along looking straight ahead of me as I was crossing an irish bridge at the edge of town.  I must have really had my eyes fixed on something ahead because at the moment I looked down I saw a crocodile right next to me that I had not noticed beforehand.  It wasn't very large but it didn't matter to me.  Terrified, I sprinted ahead as quickly as I could.  I don't think I even bothered to look back.  Once past the bridge I slowed down to a jog.  On my way back as I approached the bridge again, I saw the crocodile ahead of me still in the same place and I began to worry about how I would get around it.  When I reached the bridge though, I realized that the crocodile had been dead and I could cross without fear.

A year and a half ago I came back from Africa for a five-week visit to Omaha.  I was happy to see friends and family, but the sudden change of environment hit me pretty hard and I had an anxiety attack that night of my arrival.  The feeling was like looking down and seeing a crocodile at my feet.  For awhile the anxious feelings would come and go, and sometimes I feared that I would be overwhelmed by them.  Jump ahead to the summer of this year when I was returning to the US for home assignment and those familiar feelings returned.  This time around though I have been learning that such feelings and thoughts need not control me or even the way that I think.  As I consciously cast my anxieties on the Lord, those moments of anxiety become less intense and less frequent.  It is like coming back to the bridge and seeing that the crocodile that was once so terrifying never had the power to harm me as I feared.

Back in the US

I have now passed the halfway mark of my home assignment.  It truly has been good seeing and spending time with family and friends here and to be with my home church.  In the beginning of September, I was able to enjoy a couple of weeks in Mississippi with family.  At the end of September, I enjoyed a long weekend with relatives in Minnesota.  I have had the opportunity to share at a few churches and groups. Wherever I have gone, I have been encouraged by the many who have taken a genuine interest in what I am doing in South Sudan.  Time here has been a good balance of rest, fun, and work.

But in some ways, it has been hard to be away from South Sudan.  Since I left Loryok two people who were dear to me there have passed away.  My adopted Laarim father Joseph, had been ill for a few months before he passed away in August.  I spent quite a bit of time with Joseph over the past two years.  We often sat, talked, and prayed together.  He taught me a lot of practical things for working on and around the house and in the garden.  Though I was often slow to learn, he was always patient.  He also demonstrated a love for Jesus and a love for his people.  I will miss him.  More recently I received news that Mama John, a kind and caring Kenyan woman who was active with the Loryok church, passed away.  She often would join us during our times of fellowship and outreach throughout the week.  When neither David nor I was in Loryok, Mama John gathered the children together and led them in singing and prayer on Sundays. She will be missed in our fellowship.

Joseph with Laarim youth in Torit
I now have less than two months to go before my planned return to South Sudan.  With eight weeks left and more to do, I am beginning to feel the pressure.      


How you can pray

-Pray for the church in Loryok.  There are no leaders there at the moment so I am often concerned for the young believers.

-Continue to pray for the nation of South Sudan.  Pray that the door would remain open for the gospel to spread among the unreached.

-Pray for me as I spend time here in the US and make preparations for returning to South Sudan in December.

Thank you for praying.

4 comments:

  1. Great analogy with the dead crocodile. Loved this update, but grieving with you over the loss of your two friends. Enjoy the remaining time you have in Omaha and say 'hi' to Peggy Gray for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you need Personal Loan?
    Business Cash Loan?
    Unsecured Loan
    Fast and Simple Loan?
    Quick Application Process?
    Approvals within 24-72 Hours?
    No Hidden Fees Loan?
    Funding in less than 1 Week?
    Get unsecured working capital?
    Contact Us:(majidvijahlending@gmail.com )

    LOAN SERVICES AVAILABLE INCLUDE:
    ================================
    *Commercial Loans.
    *Personal Loans.
    *Business Loans.
    *Investments Loans.
    *Development Loans.
    *Acquisition Loans .
    *Construction loans.
    *Business Loans And many More:

    LOAN APPLICATION FORM:
    =================
    Full Name:................
    Loan Amount Needed:.
    Purpose of loan:.......
    Loan Duration:..
    Gender:.............
    Marital status:....
    Location:..........
    Home Address:..
    City:............
    Country:......
    Phone:..........
    Mobile / Cell:....
    Occupation:......
    Monthly Income:....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Everybody, My name is.Mrs.Juliet Quin. I live in Canada and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $ 73,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $ 73,000.00 Canada Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs.Juliet Quin that refer you to him. Contact Dr Purva Pius via email: reply to email (urgentloan22@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you need a loan to consolidate your debt? Are you in need of a loan
    to finance or expand your business? or for car purchase, buying a
    house and other personal loans ETC we give long term loan for five to
    fifty years maximum with 3% interest. You are 100% Guaranteed.
    contact us via email reply to email (urgentloan22@gmail.com)
    BORROWERS APPLICATION DETAILS:
    Full Name:________________________
    Country:_________________________
    State:__________________________
    Sex:____________________________
    Date of Birth:______________________
    Home Address:______________________
    Amount Needed:______________________
    Loan Duration:_______________________
    Cell Phone:_________________________
    Monthly income:____________________
    Purpose for Loan:___________________
    Occupation:_________________________

    ReplyDelete